Skip to main content

On Blogging

Hands typing on a laptop


I've always wanted to be a writer, ever since I was a kid, and I was actually quite good at it back then. I used to take concepts and scenarios from things I'd read and seen on TV, jumble it all around, add in some ideas of my own and come up with something new. I was upcycling before the word upcycling had even been invented (or reinvented?). Somewhere in my teenage years I lost interest, I guess sitting at home filling a blank page with words couldn't compete with what my mates were up to outside in the real world, so the real world won. The victory wasn't total, however, because the desire to write, to create stories and express ideas, never went away completely, I just ignored it for a few decades.

Eventually I found my way back, after I had become aware of a thing called blogging. People weren't submitting drafts to publishers anymore, forlornly hoping that one of those gatekeepers might just see something worth taking a chance on. No, if they had something to say they just published it on a ready made website for the whole world to read, and if enough people read it then any number of doors might open up for them. How enticing is that? Low cost, minimum effort, endless potential. I had to have a go, because, well, who knows? In my head I thought that maybe I'd be one of the lucky ones, that my blog might go viral, and I could end up writing novels, TV shows or movie scripts.

Maybe.

Maybe not.

I created a blog and set to work writing. Anything at first, just to get started. My thinking was that if I threw enough crap at the wall some of it would stick. I wrote about sport, politics and travel. I wrote short stories, flash fiction and poetry. I created listicles, self-help guides and wellness articles. There isn't much I didn't write. I thought that at some point it would become apparent what I was most naturally suited to and that my readership would increase accordingly. This didn't happen. 

After about five years of constant effort I became disillusioned. The amount of mental effort that goes into developing ideas and creating content for a blog can be taxing, and the time cost is incalculable. I have no idea how many hours I spent staring at my phone or my laptop, agonising over a word or a phrase, trying to make sure everything was just right. Does it flow? Is it too simple? Or, too verbose? So many questions! Unfortunately, the one question I never asked myself was: Would I read this?

The truth is, a lot of what I wrote just wasn't very good. Not terrible, but not great either. Some of it was interesting and well written, and bits of it were even quite funny, but very little of it would've made me, as a reader, think that it was good enough to share with others. So nobody did. Some people clicked the 'like' button, a few people posted kind comments, but nobody shared it.

Once I'd realised that my big break wasn't just around the corner, and that nobody was going to reach out to me with a contract or a book deal, I simply stopped doing it. No sign-off and no explanation, and, if I'm honest, I don't think anybody noticed.

So, you may be wondering why I'm doing this? Why am I blogging again, especially now in the post-ChatGPT era? After all, I'm no longer only competing with other humans. These days if I want my words to be read I have to somehow be better than a machine which can harness the power of a thousand suns to scour the entire history of written English to create content. 

I can't compete with that. 

I just like writing. 

The same as I did when I was in primary school, when the only person who read my words was Mrs Jackson, and she had to do it because it was her job.

I'm doing it for me. Not for fame, money, or some romantic ideal. 

But, you never know, right? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Greek Trip

All I can feel is a pain in my neck, and there's a sense that somewhere, outside my welded-shut eyelids, it's very bright. There are noises, distorted and distant, but becoming clearer, as if I'm underwater but rising to the surface. Then a voice, loud, clear, familiar: 'Woz, wake up, we're here!' Here? Where the fuck is here? I peel open my eyes and look around. I'm on a plane, the sun is beaming through the window, and a couple of hundred holidaymakers are excitedly preparing to disembark. One of these excited passengers is my mate Mark. Mark. I haven't seen him since ...? When? Was it last night? Or maybe this morning? Images and scenes are fading in and out of my mind's eye, incoherent and in no particular order. Trying to piece everything together is challenging. I have a pain in my neck from several hours spent sleeping wedged against a plane window, and a pain in my head from an unknown number of hours of what could loosely be described as...

The First Trip

​How did I end up suffering in 40c heat on a dilapidated charabanc in Kos while still wearing the same clothes I had on when I went to the pub in Manchester the night before? The answer is quite simple really: My housemate Baz accidentally bought 200 tabs of acid. Yep. That’ll do it. He’d recently broken up with his long term girlfriend and he hadn’t taken it well. If he were older you’d say he was going through some sort of mid-life crisis, but given his age it was just a normal, everyday, run of the mill crisis. The sort of crisis that made him want to get drunk every night, experiment with drugs, that sort of thing.  Some people might’ve staged an intervention, but we didn’t play those games in the north of England back in the 90s. I just let him get on with it and went along for the ride.  One day he tells me that he’s decided to try acid. There’s a guy he works with who knows a guy who can hook him up. ‘Go for it’ I said ‘what’s the worst that could happen?’ The Friday of...

The Missing Shoe

​ There's a guy I know called Doely (that's not his real name but we'll call him that to protect his identity), who went to the pub after college for a birthday drink one Friday back in the early nineties. When he woke up the next morning he looked around and was pleased to discover that he'd managed to make it home to his own bed, because he had absolutely no memory of getting home (or even leaving the pub). He channeled his inner Captain Picard and conducted the regular Saturday morning damage report, starting with his jeans; they weren't ripped or covered in shite so that was a good start. Then he went through his pockets; wallet (which still had some money in), keys and enough loose change to fill a piggy bank - excellent, it was looking good.  Next, shoes. He had been wearing the brand new Nike Air Max trainers that his Mam had bought him, so it was important that they were still in good nick (he still lived at home and she would've battered him if he’d rui...